Sunday, August 29, 2010

No Carb Left Behind

This weekend, I broke all the rules.

We drove to Dallas on Saturday to visit Fearing's. I later dubbed it the Fearing's Food Crawl, which took place in three installments.

We started off with a lunch cooking class where we observed the processes to make a few (very involved) dishes:

1. Watermelon/Jalapeno Glazed Nantucket Lighthouse Scallops on Creamed Corn Pan Stuffing with Crispy Texas Okra
2. Prime Cut Rib Eye Grilled over Live Mesquite with West Texas "Mop" Sauce served over
3. Heirloom Tomatoes with Barbecued East Texas Field Pea Salad
4. Grapefruit Rosemary Pops
5. Chocolate Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches

And then we got to eat it all.

That in itself could have been enough. But later that night, we went back for what turned out to be a seven-course meal fit for an emperor. Eric, the Chef de Cuisine, wanted to be sure we got a full Fearing's experience. So instead of ordering just one first course and main course dish, we got sample portions of several. I loved this idea because (a) we didn't have to decide what to order (b) it was always a surprise what was coming next and (c) we tried things I wouldn't normally have ordered. In order of appearance:

1. Yellowtail Two Ways: Tsukiji Market Hamachi over Avocado/Wasabi Puree and Basil/Peanut Salad with Kampachi Tartare, Candied Pineapple and White Miso Sorbet
2. Dean's Tortilla Soup with South of the Border flavors
3. Apricot Barbecue Glazed Bob White Quail on Iceberg Wedge Salad with Point Reyes Blue Cheese and Cider Braised Bacon
4. Chicken Fried Maine Lobster
5. Broken Arrow Ranch NilGai Antelope Glazed with 'D1 Sauce" on Poblano/Pepita Pesto with East Texas Field Peas, Heirloom Tomatoes, Brazos Valley Feta Cheese and Sweet Onion Rings
6. Osmanthus/Plum Glazed Lamb Chops on Three Bean/Shiitake Stir Fry with Five-Spiced Pork Roll and Mild Chinese Mustard
7. Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar with Caramel Peanut Butter Sauce and Cocoa Nib Tuile

There are no words for this dining experience. At several points throughout the meal, John and I were asking ourselves how much more we could handle. How many people do we know that get to do this. How much more amazing can food be. But, we didn't go there just to look at good food. The plates kept coming, and we kept eating. It was so good and so wrong all at once.

We finished off the food crawl with Sunday Brunch. The massive buffet offered fresh fruit, pastries out the wazoo, eggs, bacon, grits, migas ... and then you could order omelets, pancakes, waffles and more from the table so they came fresh and made to order. I actually was able to try Fearing's version of Muesli, which I posted about last entry. I have been eating a low-carb remix of that dish for breakfast. After having the real deal, all I can say is - even calling the low-carb version "Almost Muesli" is a stretch.

Before we left, I weighed in around 141. I just stepped on the scale to see 147. Yikes! Was it worth it? A big heck to the yes. But this week, it's back to Phase I for me. I have to undo the delicious damage. I am fully aware that this weekend was a splurge beyond all splurges. I fully intend to get back on the low-carb bandwagon. I just couldn't pass up an opportunity like that.

kh

No comments:

Post a Comment