Thursday, August 12, 2010

three months in

I committed to start living low-carb on April 25. I took my three-month measurements on July 19 with big plans for my three-month update after some blood work that week.

07/19/10
Bust: 38.5"
Waist: 32"
Stomach: 36"
Hips: 39.5"
Thighs: 22.5"
Arms: 12"
Weight: 145.4 lbs

I'm still not sure why some of the measurements went up, but the scale keeps going down. Maybe it was my body foreshadowing what was to happen the next day. On July 20, my appendix decided to get inflamed and infected and thus had to be removed. After surgery, the nurses shoved fruit juice and crackers in my face and I consumed them. Going from low-carb to surgery to sugary juice and carby crackers was a whirlwind for my tummy. It was a rough patch but I'm back on track. Luckily the appendix hadn't ruptured and all is now well, but it definitely turned my world upside down for a few days.

I went in to visit my doctor after things settled down because I wanted to make sure that she supported my lifestyle change and to make sure the inner workings of my body match the outer appearance and the way I feel. All tests came back great - she ran a panel for electrolytes to make sure I'm still getting the nutrients I need as well as the lipid panel to check my cholesterol, triglycerides and liver function.

08/02/10
Weight: 145 lbs.
Cholesterol: 174
LDL: 88 HDL: 58
Triglycerides: 142

For those who don't know what these numbers represent, or how they fit in the spectrum ... First, take a look at the old numbers from April. A cholesterol total of under 200 is the goal, with LDL (the bad kind) coming in under 100. My LDL level months ago is what was making my cholesterol so high. You can see, my HDL didn't move much. And then Triglycerides surprised me a little - mine actually went up quite a bit. The normal or acceptable range is between 80 and 135, so I'm just barely over.

After visiting with my doctor and getting her feedback, I revisited the Atkins book to learn about Phase II. Turns out, I had already transitioned into Phase II more than I realized. It wasn't a constant thing, but I had started eating nuts and berries here and there, which are the first types of carbohydrates you begin to reintroduce to your diet after Phase I.

I am thoroughly enjoying where I am right now. I have a bit broader selection and I'm still losing. My doctor was astonished at my success in such a short time, had absolutely no problems with continuing to live low-carb, but said I should stop around 135 lbs. That is 5 lbs shy of my original goal, but if she says that is what is healthy for me, I will trust her judgment.

Atkins and low-carb living isn't for everyone, but I am a believer and am fully confident that it is what I needed to do and what I need to continue to do. I still feel great. Staring down a bowl of chips at a restaurant has gotten worlds easier.

I leave you with the recipe for my new favorite breakfast: Almost Muesli. The book suggests a few breakfast, snack and dessert options for each phase and they are all yummy, quick and easy. "This classic Swiss breakfast gets a low-carb update. Mix 2 Tbs flaxseed meal and 1 Tbs chopped almonds with 1/2 C plain Greek or low-carb yogurt. Add 1 packet Splenda and Cinnamon to taste. Top with berries if desired."

*I found organic flaxseed meal, Greek yogurt and organic blueberries at Drug Emporium. Me oh my, this is delicious! I'm ready for breakfast now!


kh

No comments:

Post a Comment