Monday, January 31, 2011

A First, With Tofu

Atkins has recently launched a new website with gourmet recipes from professional, famous chefs: Atkins Chef Recipes. Seeing as one of my goals is to start cooking some more complex recipes, this is perfect timing.

The first recipe I tried from this site was Almond Panna Cotta. I think I messed this one up in the very first step with the unflavored gelatin. Rather than sprinkling it on the cream and letting it set, I stirred it right away. I'm assuming this is what went wrong, though I haven't re-made the dish to test that theory. I know it sounds like that's a small mistake, but I think gelatin is truly finicky like that. Don't get me wrong, the stuff still tastes good. "It'll eat!" as Mom used to say. But the texture is off ... it has a weird grainy layer that settled up to the top. I will get back to you next time I give this one a whirl and let you know if the not-stirring made a difference.

Last night, I made a second: Walnut-Crusted Tofu Cutlets. Ohmygoodness, folks. This is a MUST try. I had never even purchased tofu from the grocery store before, and finding the Tahini was a process. But I cannot stress how delicious this dish is. I did take their suggestion and toast the coconut and walnuts prior to enhance their flavor. Also, I used cilantro for the herb because it's in another dish I'm making this week. Otherwise, I followed the recipe and the steps were honestly quite simple. John and I ate it up last night, and I finished off the leftovers today at lunch on my salad. I dare say it was even better today!

If tofu freaks you out, I'm confident this recipe would translate beautifully for chicken. The marinate and "crust" is what made it - the protein on the plate is just the base for these awesome flavors.

kh

No comments:

Post a Comment